ESS/MSS Leave Requests
Manager Self-Service (MSS) was rolled out starting in January 2018 to a full launch in June to help supervisors view information about their team in a convenient and secure way. More than 1,700 managers now have the ability to view vacation and absence data, supervisory relationships and university training information for their teams via a new module in the existing Employee Self-Service (ESS) suite of online services. A vacation and leave request component will be added to MSS in 2018-2019. By using MSS, the University is projected to save over $550,000 in people hours during the first year and over $970,000 in three years.
- Manager (MSS) vacation and team calendar reports released to all managers & supervisors at U of T (1700+ individuals) in July 2018.
- New structured position creation process implemented in June 2018 to prevent future system hierarchy errors.
- Solution identified for allowing MSS access to “casual” employee managers; proof of concept underway with anticipated fix launching in Q1 2019.
- Pilot of Employee Self Serve leave request underway in Q1 2019 with central ITS, Finance and HR.
- Opt-in roll-out of ESS leave request (without manager substitution) now available to all remaining divisions at the university
Follow project progress and stay informed about the modernization initiative.
View all updates
March 27th, 2018
A new application for managers will streamline the vacation process, providing valuable business insights and saving time and money.Continue reading...
- Convenient access to self-service leave requests (vacation, sick, personal, training, bereavement leave) for USW, Confidential, PM and RA/SRA staff in the first phase.
- Ability for managers to approve requests online.
- Automated recording of leave requests in HRIS.
- New vacation reports and team calendars (displaying absences for team) for managers.